Thursday, September 8, 2016

Bad Days Happen.

Can I be honest? I can because it's my blog and I can say what I want. Moms have bad days. There were several moments during my pregnancy when I was just like Are you kidding me? Everyone always talked about how wonderful pregnancy was and how you would glow from this beautiful experience. Yeah right! I was a sweaty, irritable mess. They don't tell you about hemorrhoids, peeing when you laugh or sneeze because there is a tiny human jumping on your bladder, or fainting at the worst moments ( my chipped front tooth can attest to that) They don't tell you that, no they tell you how you are going to glow. People always talk about the beautiful side of motherhood, and they don't speak of the worry, the depression, the need to self-medicate with wine( ask any Mom about the book club and she will deny it).

 Moms get a bad rep. There is no time to sit in front of the tv eating bonbons while you try to remember which kid needs to be where? Who needs to eat(child, fish, cat, dog, turtle, you)? What's for breakfast, lunch second breakfast, dinner? Where is the biggest mess that I need to tackle? Should I just hose the kids off outside, so I don't have to clean the bathroom again? How do I not ruin my kids lives today? There is a list of things to do that is the equivalent of pi (neverending). But, you must endure it all with grace looking runway-fierce... I'm sorry, but that is a sure fire way to lose your mind.

Having a bad day is one thing. Have a glass of wine and a long soak in the tub and you can shake it off. Now, when the bad days start to run together, and you start using your outside voice inside to everybody, and you start picking fights with your partner over not changing the toilet roll... You need a break. Because at this point you can soak in a bathtub full of wine and it would not help. Find a sitter, invoke the grandparent's clause, You need backup! Take a day or two and just be with your spouse. It can work wonders for your attitude. I'm not saying that this is the answer to everything. Some people don't even know what's wrong. That takes some work to find yourself and remember what used to bring you joy or find something new. The absolute best thing you can do for yourself is to stop worrying what others think about you. Do what's right for you and your family.

I love you my awkward friends until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment