Thursday, August 11, 2016

Who Does Antisocial Parenting Hurt?



Sometimes you just don't want to be bothered with other people. Well, your sometimes is my most of the time. It was until I saw how other people enrich my son's life. It was as if a flash of lightning went off in my head. It is amazing the way he had personal relationships with the people he encounters. He remembers the things he does with that particular person. R.J. just has a gift with people. It's wonderful to watch. People love him instantly. So, to keep him away from his adoring public is just cruel.

The most honest reason I have to give up my anti-social ways is that I need a break and support. When you are a stay at home mom, your life revolves around your family. There is only so much conversation you can have about Elmo. I have been guilty of reading Stephen Hawking's "The Theory of Everything" to him. Reading books alone is not enough. I found myself irritable, and depressed. I needed to get out of my funk. So, I decided to get involved in my community. I started going to local Park Advisory Council meetings. Going to these meetings lead to
coming in contact with a wonderful local church pastor. I visited his church and knew that I wanted to be a part it. I met beautiful church ladies who welcomed my family and me no questions asked. The most amazing thing is that my son found a friend.

In all things, there is a balance. I now look forward to Sundays. I can see more clearly the need to be around positive moms and women. The need to know you are not alone is real. Many are afraid of judgement especially when it comes to our children or parenting. We all need a village in which to feel safe to be ourselves. One of the reasons I do my best not to judge others is that you never know what someone has been through. One day you may have that same trial.

    I love what my life is becoming. I just might have to change the name of this blog. Well.. nope still awkward, but that's okay. So, I guess the answer to my question Who does anti-social parenting hurt is everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment